- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 whole large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a large bowl whisk together corn, flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and black pepper until well combined.
- Pour in beaten egg and milk. Stir until you have a thick batter.
- Fold in onion, garlic, and cheddar cheese until everything is evenly blended.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a deep skillet or pot over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, about 350ºF, carefully add about 1/4 cup of batter to oil. Gently press down to flatten them. You can cook 4-5 at a time, depending on the size of your pan.
- Cook for about 3 minutes per side until golden brown. Remove and place on a wire rack or paper towel. Continue with remaining batter. Best served warm.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Erin Sellin @Dinners, Dishes & Desserts.