- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, soft
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Butter and flour an 8-inch square baking pan and set aside.
- Sift together flour and baking soda, stir in cornmeal and combine well. Set aside.
- Mix butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and cream well. Add one egg at a time waiting for previously added amount to be fully incorporated. Add salt, sour cream, and milk.
- Add dry ingredients and combine until smooth. Scrape batter into pan and place in oven.
- Bake until center of cornbread bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
This sounds really good but way too much sugar. more dessert like. I could see adding fresh blueberries. Not a dinner cornbread. Also, would bake nice in an iron skillet.