Cornmeal Waffles with Strawberry & Cranberry Fruit Compote
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons oil or melted butter
Strawberry & Cranberry Fruit Compote
- 2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/3 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- If serving with strawberry & cranberry fruit compote, prepare it before the waffles. Place sliced strawberries and fresh/frozen cranberries along with sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 4-5 minutes. The compote is deliciously tart, but additional sugar can be added if desired.
- Preheat waffle iron to slightly below highest heat setting.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together sugar, salt, buttermilk, eggs, and oil/melted butter. Once well combined pour into dry ingredients and whisk briefly until just combined.
- If using a Teflon waffle iron, using baking spray will not be necessary to prevent the waffles from sticking. Using a ladle pour into waffle iron and cook until golden, about 3 minutes.