- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Combine milk and cream in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Meanwhile cut vanilla bean lengthwise in half and scrape seeds out bean using a small knife. Place vanilla bean and its content into cream mixture and remove from heat when it reached a boil. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine sugar and egg yolks in a bowl and whisk until smooth and well combined. While whisking gradually add boiled mixture.
- Set ramekins into a roasting pan. Pour crème brûlée mixture into ramekins. Pour water into roasting pan until it comes halfway up sides of ramekins.
- Place in oven and bake until center of ramekins no longer tremble. About 50 minutes to 70 minutes, depending on depth of ramekins used.
- When cool enough to handle remove ramekins from roasting pan and place in refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and cover surface of crème brûlée with a thin even coating of granulated sugar.
- Torch surface using a blow torch to melt sugar.