Cranberry Orange Bars
Vanilla Cookie Crust
- 11-ounce box vanilla wafers
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 cups fresh cranberries, washed/rinsed
- 2 large oranges
- 2 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add vanilla wafers and melted butter to a food processor and pulse until cookies are fine crumbs.
- Press cookie crumbs into bottom of 9 X 13-inch pan that has been lined with parchment paper.
- Bake crust for 10 minutes.
- Remove and let cool.
- Zest both oranges and set zest to side.
- Peel oranges and remove seeds. Discard peel and seeds.
- Add cranberries and orange slices to a food processor.
- Process/blend 3-4 minutes.
- Add cranberry mixture, white sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg, and vanilla extract in a medium saucepan.
- Stir. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer, occasionally stirring for 15 minutes.
- Raise oven temperature to 425°F.
- Pour cranberry mixture on top of crust.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle walnuts on while hot.
- Let cool completely, cut into bars and sprinkle with orange zest.
- For optional drizzle, add powdered sugar to bowl and mix with heavy cream, and vanilla until thick but pourable.
- Drizzle over cut and cooled bars.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Angie Barrett @BigBearsWife.