Cream Cheese Chocolate Coconut Pinwheels
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1 orange, no white bitter pith
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons oil such as peanut or vegetable
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Mix together butter, cream cheese, sugar, salt, and orange zest until completely smooth and no lumps remain.
- Add flour all at once and mix just until dough forms. Press 1/4-inch thick onto plastic food film and place in a refrigerator for 30-45 minutes or until firm and cold enough to be rolled.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface about 4 credit cards thick. Cut into 3-inch squares.
- Cutting from the corner towards the center, make a 1.5-inch long cut using a pairing knife. Make cuts on all corners.
- Take one corner and fold it towards the middle. Going clockwise direction, skip the next corner but grab the following corner and fold it towards the center. Continue by skipping or folding every other corner until a pinwheel shape is obtained,
- Place on parchment or non-stick cookie sheets. Continue with remaining squares.
- Brush surface of pinwheels with water or a beaten egg and sprinkle with an even layer of granulated sugar.
- Place in oven until edges are golden brown, about 23-25 minutes. Allow to cool completely before proceeding with chocolate.
- Place 2/3 of chocolate and oil in a small microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 10-second increments until chocolate is melted. Stir well in between.
- Add remaining chocolate chips and stir until melted. Do not return to microwave oven unless chocolate starts to harden during the dipping process.
- Dip the corners of cookies in chocolate or zigzag chocolate over the surface and sprinkle with coconut flakes.