Cream of Artichoke Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 leek, sliced and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1 can (14 ounces) artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 can (14 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 12 ounces fat-free evaporated milk
- 4 ounces half and half
- Optional: 1 tablespoon fresh chives or dill
- Optional: Dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt
- Optional: Additional lemon zest
- Saute onion and leek in olive oil until soft. Stir in brown sugar and let it cook with vegetables for 1-2 minutes.
- Add drained artichoke hearts, garlic, lemon zest, chicken broth, pepper, salt, and white wine. Bring mixture to a simmer and let it cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat.
- Blend soup in a blender or food processor with evaporated milk and half and half. Return to pot once soup is smooth. If serving hot, keep warm over medium heat. If serving cold, let soup chill to room temperature before chilling in refrigerator. Top with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt and fresh chives or dill before serving.