Creme Brulee Strawberry Tart
- 1 stick unsalted butter, soft
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup well packed Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 pints ripe strawberries
- For dusting Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a large bowl, mix butter and powdered sugar using a paddle attachment until well blended. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add salt and vanilla.
- Add flour and mix on low speed until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Press dough evenly flat onto a sheet of plastic food film. Place dough in refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes or until well chilled.
- Meanwhile chill the work surface area that you will be rolling dough on by placing 1-2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on the area.
- While area and dough are chilling, prepare crème brûlée filling by heating heavy cream until very hot but not boiling.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg yolk and egg until very well blended. Add a few tablespoons of heated cream and whisk. Add brown sugar and whisk vigorously. Add remaining cream and vanilla extract.
- Pour into an 8- or 9-inch cake pan and place on a roasting pan. Pour about 1-inch of water into the roasting pan so the pan filled with crème will sit in a water bath Place in a 325°F oven until the center no longer trembles, about 55 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place in the refrigerator. Set oven to 375°F.
- Next, make tart shell. Set aside 1 8- or 9-inch diameter tart ring or tart pan.
- Sprinkle the chilled area lightly with flour and roll dough slightly thinner than 1/8-inch. Place and press dough into the pan and remove excess.
- Place in oven and bake until golden light brown, about 15 minutes. During baking process the dough should not slide down the sides. However, if an area does slide down, remove tart from oven and patch with a piece of remaining dough and return to oven. Let cool.
- Spoon crème brûlée filling into cooled tart shells.
- Wash and dry and half the strawberries and place onto cream. If desired cut strawberries from top down to almost the bottom. Then fan the berries slightly and place on tart. Sprinkle generously with powdered sugar and place in refrigerator.
- Serve chilled.