Dairy-Free Lemon Curd
- 1 cup coconut milk (not low fat)
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons cornstarch (adding an extra teaspoon will make a firmer curd)
- Zest of 1 lemon, no white bitter pith
- 6 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 5 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg yolk (optional)
- In a saucepan large enough to hold all ingredients whisk coconut milk, cornstarch, lemon zest, lemon juice and sugar to a boil. Constantly whisk to prevent burning.
- Once mixture boils and makes thick bubbles remove from heat. If preparing without egg yolk add a drop of yellow food color if desired and set pan in a bowl of ice. Stir occasionally until cold and store in a refrigerator.
- If using egg yolk, whisk yolk in a small bowl, add 1/3 of boiled curd and whisk rapidly. Transfer yolk mixture back into pan and whisk well. Chill over ice and then store in a refrigerator.