Dandy Apricot or Peach Squares
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, soft at room temperature
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut, sweetened or unsweetened
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 (15 oz) cans apricot halves or sliced peaches, well-drained
- Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift flour, salt, and baking soda together and set aside.
- Cream butter until creamy; add sugar and vanilla and mix for several minutes more until fluffy and light.
- Add sifted dry ingredients in one step. Once combined add coconut and pecans and mix to a crumbly mixture - do not mix to a solid dough.
- Press 1/2 of dough onto a parchment-lined 13x9-inch pan into an even layer.
- Arrange well-drained apricots or peaches over entire dough surface.
- Crumble remaining dough over fruit. If dough was mixed a bit too long and is in one piece, grate it onto the large eyes of a box grater directly over fruit.
- Place in oven and bake until dough crumbles are golden about 40-45 minutes.
- Cut into bars and serve warm. Top with homemade vanilla ice cream, if desired.
This recipe first appeared in the Imperial Sugar 150th Anniversary Cookbook.