Dark Chocolate Banana Bread
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, soft
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups (about 4-5) bananas, very ripe and finely mashed
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (good quality 60%-72% preferred)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together flour and baking soda and set aside.
- For easy removal from pan brush a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with melted butter. Cut parchment paper and line the sides of pan with parchment paper (butter keeps parchment in place). Set aside.
- In bowl, cream butter until light and creamy, add sugar, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon and mix until well combined.
- Add eggs one at a time waiting for previously added egg to be fully incorporated and batter is smooth.
- Add mashed bananas and combine. Add flour mixture and blend until smooth. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts (if desired). Scrape batter into prepared pan and place in oven on middle rack.
- Bake until center of banana bread is no longer sticky or an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
Note: You may replace all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour to increase the fiber content.