Dark Chocolate Butter Toffee
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease or line a 12 x 17 inch jelly roll pan, or half sheet pan, with parchment paper.
- Toss pecans on pan and bake 8 minutes. Remove nuts and allow to cool. You can reuse this pan for toffee.
- In a medium-sized pot, add sugar, butter, and salt. Allow butter to melt and come to a gentle boil. Simmer on a low boil for 13-15 minutes or until toffee mixture is a dark amber color and reaches 290°F to 300°F, or "hard crack” stage.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour hot toffee mixture on prepared baking pan and allow to set slightly, 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top and allow to sit for 1-2 minutes, then spread softened chocolate into an even layer. Before chocolate sets, sprinkle top with chopped pecans. Allow toffee to cool and set for about 2 hours before breaking into pieces.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Kraft @SprinkleSomeSugar.