- 12 ounces (3/4 of 16-oz package) Medjool dates - unsweetened
- 3 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup quick cooking (not instant) oats
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar, well packed
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cold
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8 X 8-inch or 9 X 9-inch pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Remove pits from dates and chop coarsely. Place in a saucepan with first listed brown sugar and water. Bring to a boil and turn to a low simmer. When majority of water has evaporated, about 15-20 minutes, remove from heat.
- Using a stick or stand blender, mix to smooth puree. Add vanilla and set aside.
- In a bowl combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Using a grater, on small eyes of grater, grate butter directly onto dry ingredients. Rub mixture between hands until it looks like wet sand.
- Press half of flour mixture firmly and evenly into prepared pan.
- Spread date mixture evenly into pan. Sprinkle, do not press, remaining flour mixture over date paste.
- Place in oven and bake about 30 minutes or until golden.
- Once cooled, cut into desired size squares.