- 1 1/4 cups (230g) fresh Medjool dates (not sweetened)
- 1/2 cup (120g) water
- 1/3 cup (70g) Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecan pieces
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Sift together flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- Mix soft butter and brown sugar until no lumps remain.
- Add one egg, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Scrape bowl well and mix. Add remaining egg. Mixture may have a slight curdled appearance.
- Add flour in one step and mix until just combined.
- Divide dough in 2 equal pieces.
- Place in freezer for about 30 minutes and then transfer to refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, prepare date filling. In a small saucepan combine dates, water, and sugar on low heat. Smash dates with a fork as mixture is heating.
- When mixture is well smashed it will have thickened. Remove from heat.
- Chop pecans a little smaller and add along with vanilla. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- Dough is best rolled on lightly floured parchment paper. Roll into a 10 X 12-inch rectangle. Dough will be rather soft and if needed slide parchment paper onto back of a cookie sheet and return to freezer to chill.
- Using an offset metal spatula spread half of date filling onto well-chilled rolled dough.
- From 10-inch edge, roll dough tightly into a log and place in freezer for 1 hour or overnight.
- Repeat process with remaining dough.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut frozen log into 1/4-inch intervals and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Allow to defrost for about 10 minutes.
- Place in oven and bake until very light golden, about 13-15 minutes.