Layered Banana Cake
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, soft
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 cups very ripe bananas, about 3-4, mashed
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Walnuts or pecans for decoration, as desired
- Cream Cheese Frosting
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour three 8 or 9-inch pans or use baking spray. Set aside.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda and salt and add to creamed butter. Blend well.
- Add half of buttermilk and all mashed bananas and mix until smooth. Scrape and add remaining buttermilk, eggs and vanilla and combine well.
- Evenly divide batter into prepared pans. Place in oven and bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or a toothpick comes out clean. About 25 to 30 minutes. Let sit in pan for 15 minutes before removing.
- Turn cakes out pans. Let cool. Freeze well wrapped or frost layers now.
- Prepare Cream Cheese Frosting and frost cool cake. Decorate with pecans and coconut if desired.