Peach Blueberry Pie
- Pure Butter Pie Crust
- 2 lbs frozen peaches or 2 lbs ripe peeled and sliced peaches (almost 5 cups)
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 tablespoons tapioca
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Vanilla ice cream and/or Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Optional Topping
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients combine sliced peaches, (if using frozen defrost first), blueberries, sugar, tapioca, lemon juice, salt, ginger and cinnamon.
- Allow tapioca to hydrate for 40 minutes before placing in pie shell. This step is important as tapioca needs proper hydration before being baked. Omitting this step will make a pie that does not thicken properly.
- Fill in pie shell. Same size pie tins vary by amount they hold, if all the filling does not fit transfer remainder to ramekins to make individual pies.
- On a well floured surface roll remaining pie dough 3-4 credit cards thick.
- Cut into strips and place first strip onto center of pie. Place second strip crosswise over first. Place remaining strips starting from center strips in clockwise fashion onto pie.
- Place in oven lined with a sheet of aluminum foil for easy clean up, after 15 minutes reduce oven temperature to 340F.
- Bake until thick visible bubbles have formed on pie, indicating that tapioca has properly thickened the juices, about 1 hour and 50 minutes. If pie gets too dark on the surface cover it loosely with a sheet of aluminum foil. Placing the pie on the bottom rack will also reduce surface color.
- Let cool, but serve warm with vanilla ice cream or dusted with powdered sugar, if desired.
Imperial Sugar Insight
- If using fresh peaches and they are not sweet and ripe, increase sugar to 1 cup and increase tapioca to 5 tablespoons.
- Blackberries or raspberries can be substituted for the blueberries.