Devil’s Food Halloween Tie Dyed Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/3 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Tie Dyed Vanilla Buttercream
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Orange gel food coloring
- Black gel food coloring
- Green gel food coloring
- Halloween candies
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Add all of ingredients to bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth; batter will be thick.
- Use a scoop to divide batter evenly between muffins tins. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 18 to 22 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then move to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Prepare Tie Dyed Vanilla Buttercream by first ensuring all ingredients are at room temperature - including heavy cream. If ingredients are at different temperatures, then the frosting may look curdled. If this happens, take a hair dryer and aim it at the outside of the bowl while you continue to mix. As all ingredients warm the buttercream should again become smooth and homogenized.
- Add butter to bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until butter is pale, very smooth, and makes a slapping sound as it hits sides of the bowl, about 30 seconds.
- Add sugar one cup at a time. Mix until it is incorporated before adding next cup.
- Scrape sides of bowl and add vanilla, salt, and cream. Increase speed to high, beat until whipped, light and perfectly smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Fit a piping bag with a large star tip. Draw lines up sides of bag in alternating colors with decorator gel. Add frosting and pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes. Top with Halloween candies.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Bree Hester @bakedbree.com.