Ding Dong Cupcakes
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 container marshmallow fluff
- Chocolate Ganache
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Place 24 paper cupcake liners into muffin or cupcake pans and set aside.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and sugar and set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk eggs and buttermilk until well combined. Add oil, vanilla and salt and whisk smooth.
- Meanwhile heat water until hot.
- Add dry ingredients to buttermilk/egg mixture and whisk smooth. Add hot water in 3 increments, while whisking the batter smooth in between additions.
- Fill cupcakes 3/4 full and place in oven, bake for 27-32 minutes and until center of cupcakes bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or until an inserted toothpick comes clean. Keep cupcakes in baking pans.
- Place marshmallow fluff in a piping bag with a medium pastry tip.
- While cupcakes are still warm, pipe marshmallow fluff into center of each cupcake. Some marshmallow fluff will migrate to the surface and is okay. Let cupcakes cool completely.
- Meanwhile prepare ganache and set aside.
- Using a spoon, spread a tiny amount of ganache on the cupcakes covering the spot where marshmallow fluff was injected.
- Remove cupcakes from pans and place briefly in refrigerator or freezer until ganache has firmed.
- Reheat ganache over a double boiler until lukewarm and it is like a thick sauce.
- Dip surface of each cupcake into ganache.
- If desired melt white chocolate over barely simmering water and pour chocolate into a piping cone.
- Pipe a swirl line onto surface of each cupcake.