Dixie Apple Cheesecake
- Apple Topping
- 3-4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Easy Cookie Crust
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- Pie Filling
- 1 pound cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Apple Glaze
- 1/4 cup apple jelly
- 1 tablespoon liqueur (Calvados, Apple Jack, Amaretto, etc.)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Toss thinly sliced apples well with lemon juice. Add sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon. Toss until evenly coated. Allow apples to stand at room temperature while crust and filling are being prepared.
- To prepare crust, blend the butter with the shortening using the low setting on an electric mixer. Add sugar and beat until fluffy. Stir in almond extract. Gradually beat in flour to form soft dough. Coat hands lightly with flour and press dough into bottom and up sides of a 10-inch quiche dish that has been lightly sprayed with a non-stick cooking spray.
- For pie filling, on low speed beat the cream cheese with the light brown sugar until fluffy. Add egg and almond extract. Blend well. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over unbaked crust in the quiche dish.
- To arrange apples: Starting on the outer rim of the dish, place a ring of apple slices in an overlapping fashion to form a complete circle. Place a second ring of apple slices in the same fashion inside of the first ring, slightly overlapping the first circle of apples. Continue placing apple slices in this fashion until cheese filling is completely covered. Roll up one thin apple slice and insert it in the very center of the dish to form the center of the flower. Place in upper portion of a preheated 375°F oven for 35-40 minutes, or until golden and set in the center. Turn off oven and open door. Do not remove dish from oven. Allow dish to stand until cooled. Cover with foil and chill well. Prepare Apple Glaze as follows.
- Melt jelly in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir in liqueur. Mixture may not appear completely smooth, but will brush on in a smooth fashion. Shortly before serving the cheesecake, brush a smooth generous coating of glaze evenly over apple slices. Slice into wedges and serve.
This recipe originally appeared on page 9 of the 1991 Volume XI, No. 5 edition of Homemade Good News.