Donna McGee's Homemade Sweet Potato Pie
- 8 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of salted butter, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 cans evaporated milk
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into quarters. Rinse sweet potatoes off with cold tap water. Then boil the potatoes in a large pot over medium high heat until they are soft.
- Use a fork to test to see if the sweet potatoes are soft. Drain all water from the pot, but keep sweet potatoes in the same large pot. Set aside.
- Combine eggs, butter, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, vanilla extract and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, combine evaporated milkand flour. Add wet and dry mixes and using an electric mixer, combine until creamy and lightly thick. You may add a little more all-purpose flour one tablespoon at a time if needed for thickness.
- Pour sweet potato pie mixture into pie shells, dividing evenly.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes at 325°F. Bake until pie is firm to touch. Remove from oven and cool on pie rack or kitchen counter top for 15-20 minutes. Cool to room temperature before slicing and serving.