Easter Basket Cupcakes
- 2 cups cake flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 8 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup milk (at room temperature)
- Green Coconut
- Use sweetened or unsweetened coconut. Place coconut in a bowl and drop a very small amount of green food coloring in the coconut. Stir evenly with a spoon or use fingers to distribute the color.
- Basic Butter Cream Frosting
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together in a bowl flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a bowl cream butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and blend well. Add egg yolks one at a time and scrape in between. Add vanilla and almond extract and whip until very light and fluffy.
- Add 1/3 of flour mixture and mix until just combined. Add half of milk and combine. Scrape bowl well and mix.
- Add another 1/3 of flour and mix until just combined, add remaining milk and mix smooth. Scrape bowl and add remaining flour, mix until smooth.
- Place baking cups in a muffin tin and fill cups 7/8 full with batter and place in oven.
- Bake until center of cupcakes spring back when lightly pressed, about 16-18 minutes.
- After cooling spread surface of cupcakes with Basic Butter Cream Frosting and decorate with green coconut, Twizzlers cut lengthwise in half, chocolate bunnies, eggs, etc.
These Easter cupcakes are very easy to make and kids love to be part of the decorating process. Use Twizzlers for the handle and green coconut to simulate grass.