Easter Bunny Cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter, soft at room temperature
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup buttermilk or milk at room temperature
- Basic Butter Cream Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups coconut flakes
- 2 packages (7 oz) marzipan
- Store bought candy eyeballs or Royal Icing
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate for eyes (not needed if using candy eyeballs)
- Easter eggs for decoration
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line cupcake tin with liners and set aside.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Mix soft butter and sugar very well. Add egg, salt, and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add about 1/3 of flour and when combined add 1/2 of buttermilk. Once buttermilk is combined add another 1/3 of flour. Followed by remaining buttermilk and finish with flour.
- Fill liners 2/3 full and place in oven.
- Bake for about 18 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Once cupcakes are completely cooled, prepare Buttercream Frosting. Frost cupcakes with a spatula. Sprinkle with shredded coconut and set aside.
- Using tablespoon amounts, roll marzipan into a ball. Shape the ball between your palms into a pear shape.
- For the ears, cut the elongated part in half using a paring knife.
- Using the stem end of a tiny artist paint brush (or similar shaped tool) press indentions into the ears and then indentions for the eyes (do not indent if using bought candy eyeballs).
- Make a generous tablespoon of marzipan brown. Option A: Melt 2 chocolate chips and mix into the marzipan. Option 2: Mix 1/4 teaspoon of cocoa with 1/4 teaspoon water and mix into marzipan. Make two very small balls of brown marzipan and flatten onto the cheek area. Imprint little indentions with a toothpick.
- Make a small amount of marzipan red and make a tiny ball for the nose.
- Using a small amount of marzipan roll into a tube and bend to make the legs. Imprint feet with back of paring knife. In the bend area of the legs, press an indention so the head will fit securely.
- Make one half of this Royal Icing recipe or use store bought candy eyes. Place Royal Icing in a piping bag and pipe a small amount into the eye cavity.
- Melt dark chocolate and place in a small piping bag and pipe onto Royal Icing.
- Attach the head onto the legs and place on cupcakes.
- Decorate with Easter eggs.