Easter Nest Sugar Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons oil such as canola, grapeseed or vegetable
- 1 cup white chocolate, chips or a cut bar pieces
- Yellow food coloring
- 1 bag chocolate eggs or jelly beans
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Sift flour and baking soda together and set aside.
- Cream butter until smooth, add the sugars and cream further. Add egg, salt and vanilla and mix until creamy.
- Add dry ingredients all at once and mix until just combined.
- Refrigerate dough for about 30 minutes or until it is no longer too sticky to roll in balls.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Take 1 1/2 tablespoon amounts of dough and shape into balls.
- Place on a parchment or silicone baking mat lined or buttered cookie sheet.
- Press your thumb into center of cookie to make a deep indention.
- Bake until very light golden, about 12-14 minutes and allow to cool.
- In a microwave oven proof bowl combine oil and chocolate. Heat in 5 second increments in microwave oven and stirring chocolate in between heating. When 3/4 of chocolate is melted stir in food color and stir to remove any lumps. (White chocolate will quickly scorch and not melting all the chocolate will prevent scorching.)
- Either fill a small piping bag fitted with a tiny pastry tip or a plastic food bag with melted chocolate. If using plastic bag cut a tiny amount of bottom corner to create a hole.
- In a circular fashion pipe melted chocolate over cookies.
- Fill with candy eggs.