- 1 quart half and half
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 egg yolks
- 7 tablespoons bourbon
- 1/2 cup pasteurized egg whites (sold in grocery stores)
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Bring half and half, first listed sugar, salt, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon sticks and vanilla extract to a boil.
- Meanwhile in a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks until smooth. Add a few tablespoons of boiled half and half to yolks and whisk quickly. Add about 1/4 cup more of boiled mixture and whisk smooth. Repeat with another small amount and gradually add remaining amount.
- Add bourbon and for very best flavor allow to cool overnight in refrigerator.
- Whisk egg whites and remaining sugar to stiff peaks and fold into cold eggnog.
- Pour in glasses and if desired add a sprinkle of nutmeg.
Homemade eggnog does not take a long time to prepare and is simply delicious. We do not recommend using raw eggs, and therefore, this recipe is heated to ensure that it is safe to drink. Pasteurized egg whites are whipped and folded in to create a light but rich texture.