Eggnog & Spiced Rum Cake
- 3/4 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup spiced rum, plus 1/4 cup more for soaking cakes
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons eggnog
- 3 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Red berries, for garnish
- 2 cinnamon sticks, for garnish
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three 8 1/2-inch cake pans.
- In a standing mixer, whip butter, sugar, and molasses until light and airy, about 5 minutes. Beat in eggs and vanilla extract until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. With a large spatula, alternate folding in flour mixture and rum to wet ingredients, stirring only until combined (do not overmix).
- Pour batter evenly into pans. Bake for 20 minutes, then allow to cool for 10 minutes before inverting from pan onto a cooling rack. Using a small brush, brush outsides of cakes with additional 1/4 cup of rum. Allow to cool completely.
- To make frosting, whip butter, cream cheese, and eggnog until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in powdered sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg and whip to combine, about 1 minute.
- Place first cake on a cake stand, then top with roughly 1 cup of frosting. Layer second and third layers, frosting same amount in between each. Frost edges of cake with remaining frosting. Top with red berries and cinnamon sticks.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Sarah Fennel @BromaBakery.