Eggnog Tres Leches
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour*
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons + 3 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups half and half
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons Bourbon
- Topping Crème Chantilly
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Butter and flour a 9 inch round cake pan, cut a round piece of parchment paper and line bottom of pan and set aside.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Separate eggs, making sure that no egg yolk enters egg whites as egg whites do not whip when traces of yolk is present.
- In bowl whip egg yolks for a minute. Add first listed 2 tablespoons sugar and whip until mixture is light in color and makes thick ribbons, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In separate bowl whip egg whites, second listed 3 tablespoons sugar and cream of tartar on medium speed to soft medium peaks. Using a hand held spatula fold whipped egg whites into whipped egg yolk mixture. Do not overfold to prevent the mixture from collapsing.
- Add half of the flour and gently fold until incorporated, add the remaining flour and combine ensuring a light mixture. Scrape in pan and place in oven.
- Bake until the center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 33 to 37 minutes.
- Meanwhile place almonds on cookie sheet and toast until light golden and fragrant, about 12 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Remove cake from oven and turn upside down onto a surface lined with paper towels. Let cool.
- Prepare eggnog: Bring half and half, sugar, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, vanilla and salt to a boil. Remove from heat. In a separate bowl whisk yolks until loose and add about 1/4 cup of boiled eggnog, whisk rapidly until smooth. In stages gradually add remaining amount of hot eggnog. (Do not be tempted to simply pour egg yolks directly into hot eggnog as this will make the yolks curdle.) Place in refrigerator or freezer to cool completely. Once cooled add Bourbon.
- Using a serrated knife carefully remove top crust from cake. Place cake on a serving platter which has an edge. (Some eggnog will seep out cake.)
- Strain eggnog in stages and very slowly pour eggnog evenly onto cake allowing good and even absorption.
- Whip cream, sugar and vanilla to medium peaks and spread onto cake. Top with cooled and toasted almonds.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
This is our holiday themed tres leches as it’s moistened with eggnog instead of the usual 3 milks for a lightly spicy treat.