Fang Decorated Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 cup + 1/2 tablespoon butter flavored Crisco
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons of one large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups bleached flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Royal Icing
- Lip-shaped cookie cutter
- Gel Paste food coloring: black, red, white
- Black sanding sugar
- Small offset spatula
- Icing bags (2)
- Icing tips, #2
- Squeeze bottle
- Candy corn
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the Crisco and sugar together.
- In another bowl beat one egg and measure out two tablespoons. Add two tablespoons of egg into mixing bowl with water and vanilla until mixed.
- Blend in remaining dry ingredients on low speed till mixed. Wrap in wax paper and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough to 1/4 to 3/8-thickness. Cut into lip shapes
- Bake 11 to 12 minutes on an ungreased cookie sheet until edges just begin to brown. Be careful not to over bake.
- Remove from oven once done and cool on a wire rack.
- While cookies cool, prepare Royal Icing and divide into three bowls: two small, one medium. Tint icing in the small bowls black and white. Tint remaining icing red. Cover each bowl with plastic wrap pressed onto icing to prevent crusting.
- If using a cookie shape where the center of the lips is not cut out, swipe a small amount of black icing onto center of each cookie. Use an offset spatula to smooth.
- Sprinkle black sanding sugar over icing and shake off excess.
- Use a #2 tip to outline lips with red icing.
- Thin remaining red icing with water, a teaspoon or so at a time, stirring gently. Continue adding water until it is the consistency of glue. If overthinned to more of a watery consistency, stir in more sifted powdered sugar to thicken. A ribbon of icing dropped back onto itself should disappear in a count of one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two.
- Cover icing with a damp dish towel and let sit for a few minutes. Stir gently to pop any large air bubbles and transfer to a squeeze bottle.
- Fill in icing with thinned icing. Use a toothpick to guide to edges and pop large bubbles. Take care not to disturb black sanding sugar below if used.
- Gently place two candy corn onto the cookies for the teeth.
- Let the cookies dry at least one hour. Use another #2 tip and white icing to add a white accent on the lips. Let cookies dry uncovered overnight or at least 6-8 hours.
- Be sure to tell your friends that the flavor of these fang cookies is a vampire favorite: VEIN-illa!