Father's Day Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
Chocolate Cutout Cookies
- 3/4 cup marshmallow cream
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line 2 or 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar. Cream until light and fluffy. Mix in egg and vanilla.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Pour flour mixture into butter mixture and mix just until incorporated.
- Scoop out dough and flatten into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap or place in a sealed plastic bag. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and lightly dust work surface with cocoa powder to prevent sticking. Roll dough out to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out 24 circles. Reroll scraps and cut out circles until all dough is used.
- Set dough circles 1-inch apart on cookie sheets.
- Press plastic alphabet stamps (stone stamps) into 12 cookies spelling out “DAD.”
- Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Remove and bake 1 tray at a time for 9-11 minutes until edges of cookies are set. Tops of cookies will still be a bit shiny. Do not over bake. Cookies should be soft once cooled.
- Allow cookies to cool completely while preparing Marshmallow Filling.
- Cream together marshmallow cream, softened butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and salt until light and fluffy.
- To assemble cookies, lay 12 plain cookies out on the work surface. Pipe or spread an even layer of marshmallow filling on each.
- Sandwich “DAD” cookie on top and serve.
Imperial Sugar Insight