Flaky Sugar Buns
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 half box puff pastry (1 sheet)
- 1 /4 + 1/3 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Zest of 1 orange, no white bitter pith
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Very generously spread melted butter into 12 cavities of a muffin tin. Sprinkle with a few tablespoons of granulated sugar. Set aside.
- Thaw puff pastry as described on box, but ensure that it stays very cold.
- Start with 1/4 cup sugar and add orange zest, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup sugar on work surface and cover with puff pastry sheet.
- Sprinkle flavored sugar on surface of dough and keep it as much as possible only on top of dough. (Cinnamon burns in oven and keeping it on the interior of the roll is the goal.)
- Roll puff pastry sheet 18 inches wide. Sugar mixture will keep dough from sticking.
- Starting with long edge roll dough into a tube.
- Cut in 1.5-inch intervals to obtain 12 rolls.
- Place in prepared pans and place in oven.
- Bake until deep golden, about 18-22 minutes. Remove from oven and take buns immediately out pan using tongs or a fork. Be careful not to burn yourself on the caramel.
- Set aside to cool.
- Pour water into muffin tin and let it sit for an hour or longer. This will melt remaining caramelized sugar and make it easy to clean.