Flat Gingerbread Houses
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- Royal Icing
- Candies for decorating
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Cream butter and brown sugar in bowl of an electric mixer. Add molasses and vanilla and mix until completely combined.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, spices, and salt in a medium bowl. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture about 1/2 cup at a time, adding water in between. Mix until combined.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for one hour, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Roll dough out on a floured board to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Use cutters to cut out shapes.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes, then let cool completely on wire rack.
- Decorate with royal icing and candies.
Imperial Sugar Insight