Fluffy Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls
Cinnamon Roll Dough
- 2/3 cup water, about 75°F
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 cup bread flour*
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup water, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 cups bread flour*
- 4 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1/4 cup water, lukewarm
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
Chocolate Spread Filling
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar, well packed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a mixing bowl, combine first listed water with first listed yeast. Add first listed flour and mix smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 1 hour in a warm area.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, room temperature water, vanilla, sugar, honey, salt, and remaining flour.
- Combine yeast with lukewarm water and place on top of flour.
- Either with your hands or using a dough hook attachment, mix until dough becomes elastic and smooth, about 5-7 minutes. (Medium speed if using stand mixer.)
- Flour brands vary in amount of moisture they absorb. If needed, add a touch of flour. However, dough should be soft and elastic. Not dry and firm.
- Gradually add pieces of butter to dough allowing it to be fully incorporated before adding next amount. When incorporated stop mixing.
- Cover bowl with plastic food wrap and set in a warm place and allow dough to rise until doubled in volume, about 60-80 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare filling by gently melting butter -- but do not boil. Remove from heat and whisk in brown sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and vanilla. Set aside.
- Prepare three, 8-inch (or 9 inch) round cake pans or a jelly roll pan measuring about 15.5 x 10.5 inches. Line bottom with parchment paper and brush sides liberally with butter. Set aside.
- When dough has doubled in size remove from bowl. This will make dough collapse and is normal and is required.
- On a well-floured surface roll dough into a rectangle measuring roughly 20-inches long and 18-inches wide.
- Spread chocolate filling evenly over surface and sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Starting from bottom edge roll dough forward into a long roll. Cut dough crosswise in 21 equal rolls. (A ruler can help with equal sizing.)
- Place 7 rolls per round pan or place evenly spaced into jelly roll pan. Cover with plastic food wrap.
- Place in a warm place until rolls have gained about 75% in volume, this will take at least one hour but can be more depending on room temperature. In about 40 minutes turn on oven to 340°F.
- Place proofed buns in oven and bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Drizzle with chocolate sauce.
Imperial Sugar Insight
NOTE: Select flour with 4 grams/protein on nutrition facts label.