- 1 cup water, about 70°F
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast, use 3 teaspoons if baking focaccia today and in a hurry
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + more for brushing baked focaccia
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- Coarse sea salt as needed
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a mixing bowl of a stand mixer fitted with hook, combine water with yeast. Add flour, sugar, and salt. Mix to combine. After 2 minutes mixing dough will be smooth.
- If baking dough tomorrow or following day, remove from machine and cover with plastic. Let it sit for 30 minutes at room temperature and place in fridge and jump to step 4. If baking today, keep mixing until dough becomes elastic and pulls away from sides of bowl - about 5 minutes. Dough cannot exceed 82°F or it will become sticky and impossible to handle.
- Remove from machine and keep covered with plastic until nearly doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Set oven to 390°F. Best surface to bake focaccia is a pizza stone or a cast iron pizza pan. If you have one of these, place now near bottom of oven. If not, set aside a large cookie sheet.
- Divide dough in 2 equal pieces.
- Using a small amount of flour shape dough into a rectangle about ½-inch thick. If baking on a pizza stone/iron pan, transfer dough onto a well-floured pizza peel or use a well-floured cutting board. If baking on a cookie sheet, brush olive oil onto sheet and place dough on it.
- Brush surface of focaccia with olive oil and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Slide dough onto heated stone or iron pan or place cookie sheet in oven.
- Bake for approximately 22-27 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from oven and brush with olive oil and sprinkle with chopped rosemary and or oregano and coarse salt.
Imperial Sugar Insight
NOTE: Select flour with 4 grams/protein on nutrition facts label.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments