- 1 cup minus 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preprinted message slips
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Type, print and cut messages for cookies and set aside. (Consider using glossy paper.)
- The cookie batter is best stenciled: Make a stencil using a thick cereal box, cut a 3 inch round using a xacto knife.
- Sift flour and set aside.
- With hand held mixer or stand mixer beat soft butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add egg whites one at a time, salt and vanilla extract. (Mixture may look a little curdled.)
- Add flour and mix until soft almost runny dough forms, do not overmix.
- Place a silicone baking mat on a flat work surface or a nonstick cookie sheet. Place the stencil on it and drop a tablespoon of batter in the center. Spread evenly. Make the batter evenly flat using an offset cake spatula, the edge of a pie server or a sanitized credit card.
- Start with 3 - 4 fortune cookies on the baking sheet. Homemade fortune cookies must be folded while hot. Once they cool, the cookie will stiffen and break instead of fold. So start with just a few until you know how quickly you can place the message and fold them.
- Place in and remain by oven until golden light brown. (Some may be lighter than others and can be returned for further baking later.)
- Remove from oven quickly, place a message in center and fold in half and fold again.
- Repeat with remaining batter. Store cookies airtight.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Personalize these cookies for any occasion. Homemade fortune cookies are affected by humidity; therefore once they are made store in an air tight container. These cookies are best made on a silicone baking mat.