- Doubled recipe Classic Yellow Vanilla Cake
- Chocolate Ganache or Sauce
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup evaporated milk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- As needed: green gel food color
- White fondant (optional)
- Black fondant (optional)
- 4 sticks unsalted butter, very soft
- Large candy eyes (optional)
- Black sprinkles (optional)
- Prepare 4 cake layers and allow to cool completely.
- Prepare ganache and set aside.
- Preferably in a stand mixer, cream soft butter and sugar until light and fluffy and mixed at least 3 minutes.
- Add salt and gradually add evaporated milk in 2-3 tablespoon amounts, mixing at least a full minute before adding more milk. Add vanilla extract.
- If at any time the butter cream appears heavy or slightly curdling, slightly warm the butter cream with a blow dryer and mixing it fast. Add green food coloring.
- Place a cake layer on a serving plate and remove parchment. Spread a thin layer of butter cream onto the cake layer. Top with another cake layer and repeat procedure with remaining cake layers.
- Frost cake with a “crumb layer”, basically spreading a thin layer of frosting over the entire cake trapping any cake crumbs.
- Place cake in refrigerator for about 30 minutes or until the “crumb” frosting layer is firm.
- Using a small round cutter, cut 2 circles in white fondant. Using a smaller cutter, cut 2 circles in black fondant. Place dark circles on top of white circles for Frankenstein eyes. You can also use large candy eyes instead.
- Spread another and final frosting layer onto cake.
- Place eyes onto cake.
- Ensure that ganache has cooled and has firmed to the consistency of chilled mayonnaise.
- Place ganache in a piping bag fitted with a small leaf piping tip. Pipe “hair” strands of ganache onto cake. Sprinkle with black sprinkles.
- Place some ganache in a small piping bag to create the mouth and scar.