French Glazed Crullers
- 1/2 cup (120 grams) milk
- 1/2 cup (120 grams) water
- 1 teaspoon (6 grams) salt
- 1 tablespoon (12.5 grams) Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 8 tablespoons (112 grams) unsalted butter, in slices
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons (144 grams) all-purpose flour*
- 4 large eggs + 1 large egg white
- 1 1/2 cups (180 grams) Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (22 grams) water
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) almond extract
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a saucepan, large enough to hold all ingredients bring milk, water, salt, sugar, and butter to a boil.
- Remove boiling mixture from heat source and rapidly stir in flour with a wooden or heat resistant rubber spatula.
- Return mixture to heat source and stir over heat source for at least 2 minutes or until mixture forms a ball and leaves a dry looking dough film on bottom of pan.
- Remove from heat. Incorporating eggs can be done using a mixer and paddle attachment or by hand using a rubber spatula.
- Mix in one egg at a time, waiting for each egg to be fully incorporated before adding next. Finish with egg white. If you want to store batter overnight, you would not proceed with step 7 until the next morning.
- Fill a piping bag with a star of approximately 1/3-inch diameter. Pipe batter into circles on parchment paper.
- Using scissors, cut close around piped circles, this will result in each cruller sitting on its own piece of parchment paper.
- Prepare glaze by combining all ingredients using a whisk. Cover with plastic food wrap and set aside.
- Heat about 2 quarts of oil to 345°F.
- Place dough circles upside down in oil (parchment facing up), about 3-4 crullers at a time.
- After about 2 minutes flip crullers upside down. At this time parchment will be released from crullers.
- After about another 1 minute in the oil, remove crullers using a slotted spoon or wire skimmer.
- Place on paper towels and repeat with remaining crullers.
- Dip crullers in almond glaze.