Frosted Classic White Cake
Classic White Cake
- 3 cups cake flour*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, soft
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 6 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Basic Butter Cream Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups coconut (optional)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour three, 8 or 9-inch baking pans and set aside. (Fitting a round piece of parchment paper on bottom of baking pan is recommended for easy removal of cake.)
- Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Mix butter until very creamy and smooth. Add oil and first listed sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and salt.
- Combine milk and warm water.
- Add 1/5 of flour and mix until combined. Add 1/4 of milk mixture and mix until smooth. Repeat process of adding 1/5 of flour followed by 1/4 of liquid until all is used.
- Whip egg whites and remaining sugar to medium peaks - not dry stiff peaks.
- Gently fold 1/3 of whipped egg whites into above. Once combined add another 1/3, once combined fold in remaining amount.
- Divide batter into pans and place in oven and bake for 25-28 minutes until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or until an inserted toothpick comes clean.
- After 5 minutes turn upside down on plastic food lined surface and allow to cool completely before frosting, about 1 hour.
- Place a cake layer on a serving platter. Spread with frosting and cover with another cake layer.
- Cover cake layer with frosting and cover with remaining cake layer.
- Frost top and sides of cake and press coconut on sides and surface of cake.
- Using a pastry bag fitted with a medium star tip. Pipe rosettes on surface of cake.