Fruited Brown Betty
- Cut or break day-old bread, using curst too, into very coarse crumbs.
- Combine bread crumbs, brown sugar and 1/4 cup of granulated sugar. Add 1/2 cup melted butter; mix thoroughly.
- Combine cooked apple slices, remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and mix well.
- Place a layer of 1/3 of crumbs in bottom of a greased 8 x 8 x 2" pan. Add a layer of apple mixture; repeat, ending with crumbs. Pour remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter over topping.
- Bake 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. Serve warm or cold.