Gateau Basque with Strawberries
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup, well packed Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- Zest of 1 lemon, no white bitter pith
- 1 3/4 cups almond flour*
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup + 1/4 cup strawberry jam/fruit spread
- 1 (8-oz) container strawberries (optional)
- Chocolate Ganache or Sauce
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare 2 round spring form pans. Line one pan with plastic wrap and leave other unlined and ungreased; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix butter until smooth and no lumps remain. Add both sugars and mix until very well combined.
- Add egg, salt, vanilla, almond extract and lemon zest and mix until well creamed and smooth. Add almond flour and mix well.
- Sift together flour and baking powder very well and add to above in one step. Mix briefly until just combined.
- Split dough in 2 equal pieces. Flatten 1/2 dough into a perfect round on bottom of plastic wrap lined round spring form pan. Place in freezer.
- Flatten other piece directly into non-buttered spring form pan, pressing dough 1/4-inch up sides, creating a slight dam.
- Spread 3/4 cup strawberry preserves onto dough keeping it about 1/2-inch from sides.
- When dough in freezer has firmed enough to be handled, place it on top of preserves.
- Gently drag a fork on surface to create a pattern of choice and place in oven until well browned. Be careful not to under bake. Exterior should be darker than golden brown.
- Serve when completely cool.
- If using strawberries, heat 1/4 cup strawberry jam with 1-2 tablespoons water until hot, remove from heat and mix in cut strawberries. Top with strawberries sauce right before serving.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments