German Chocolate Brownies
- 11.5 oz bag of 60% bittersweet chocolate baking chips
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
German Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 10 oz evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Using a double boiler (or a glass/metal bowl over a pan of simmering water), melt chocolate and butter, stirring occasionally, until completely melted and combined.
- Turn off heat, but keep bowl over water of double boiler and add both sugars. Whisk until completely combined and remove bowl from on top of the water. Let sit until it's at room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter or grease a 13x9 baking pan. Line bottom with a sheet of parchment paper and butter parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Whisk until just combined. Do not over mix. Sprinkle flour, cocoa powder, and salt over chocolate mixture. Using a whisk, gently combine dry ingredients into wet ingredients until there are no big lumps and you don't see any flour. Again, try not to mix more than needed.
- Pour brownie batter into prepared pan and bake at 350°F, for 30-35 minutes, rotating pan halfway through. Brownies are done when a toothpick comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached.
- To prepare German Chocolate Frosting, start with a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Combine sugar, evaporated milk, butter, and egg yolks. Bring to a simmer and then lower heat to low, stirring constantly until thickened - about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla, coconut, and pecans. Cool for 15 minutes and then spread on top of brownies. Cut into squares and serve.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.