German Chocolate Cupcakes
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, diced
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 cups self-rising flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
Coconut Pecan Frosting
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 24 cupcake cups with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized heatproof bowl add the chocolate, butter, and milk. Place bowl on top of a pot of simmering water (without touching the water) and stir with a spatula until melted, combined and smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside for 10-15 minutes to cool slightly.
- Stir in sugars, egg yolks, vanilla extract, and Greek yogurt. Mix to combine.
- Slowly fold in the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate grease-free bowl, add egg whites and with an electric mixer with the whisk attached, beat until firm peaks form.
- Gently, fold egg whites to chocolate mixture in three batches.
- Divide batter between prepared 24 cupcake cups and bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes to until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from oven, and cool completely on a wire rack.
- While cupcakes are baking, make the frosting. In a medium-sized saucepan add evaporated milk, sugars, egg yolks, and butter. Cook over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add coconut extract, coconut flakes, and pecans and stir to combine. Cool completely before frosting cupcakes.
- Optional, to decorate cupcakes use half pecans or drizzle with melted chocolate.
NOTE: If you do not have coconut extract, you can use vanilla extract.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Roxana Yawgel at a TrEATS Affair.