German Chocolate Frosting
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flaked coconut (toasted if desired)
- 1 3/4 cups pecans, chopped
- If toasted coconut is desired, spread coconut onto a cookie sheet and place in oven. Toss frequently with a fork and allow to turn light golden.
- Combine evaporated milk, sugar, butter, vanilla extract, egg yolks and salt in a saucepan. Stir constantly over medium heat using a heat resistant spatula or a wire whisk until thickened. This will take about 30 minutes and consistency should be slightly thinner than room temperature ketchup.
- Add coconut and pecans and stir to combine. Allow to cool in a refrigerator or chill on an ice bath if needed immediately.