German Pound Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 pound mixed peel
- 1/4 pound large raisins
- 2 oz. almonds
- 2 oz. candied cherries
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with baking paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Cream butter and sugar in bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time. Add milk and lemon extract.
- With the mixer on low speed, add flour and baking powder.
- Remove from mixer and fold in mixed peel, raisins, almonds, and cherries.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
This recipe was originally published in the 1915 edition of The Household Economist.