Gingerbread Cake with Marshmallow Molasses Meringue
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar, well packed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter
- 1/2 cup molasses (not black strap, since it is more bitter)
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
Marshmallow Molasses Meringue
- 3 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar, well packed
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- Pinch salt
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line bottom of a 9-inch square pan with parchment paper. Brush butter on sides and dust with flour. Set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and white pepper. Set aside.
- Place butter in a saucepan and heat until butter is just melted and certainly not hot. Remove from heat. Whisk in molasses. Add egg and buttermilk and whisk until completely blended.
- Add wet mixture to dry and whisk briefly until combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour into pan and place in oven. Bake until center of cake springs back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 30-35 minutes. Once cool, remove cake from pan.
- Meringue will be made over a Bain Marie. Fill a pot with an inch of water and bring to a boil. Combine egg whites and brown sugar and place over simmering water. Whisk constantly until mixture reaches 145°F.
- Remove from heat and whip until meringue is fluffy and makes firm peaks. Add molasses and salt and whip until incorporated.
- Spread meringue onto cake. If desired, meringue can be torched or placed briefly under broiler to slightly brown it.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments