Gingerbread Cookies with Eggnog Frosting
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Gold ‘N Natural Turbinado Sugar, for rolling cookies
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In mixer, cream granulated sugar and shortening together.
- Add egg and mix. Mix in molasses.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- With mixer on low, slowly add flour mixture to batter. Mix until just combined and dough forms.
- Scoop cookie dough into 2 tablespoon amounts and roll into balls.
- Roll cookie dough balls into turbinado sugar that has been poured into a small bowl.
- Place cookies onto ungreased baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove and let cookies cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before moving to rack to cool.
- To make eggnog frosting, use an electric mixer to whisk together butter and powdered sugar until smooth. Mix in eggnog and cream of tartar. Whip until light and fluffy.
- Spread frosting onto cooled cookies. Sprinkle frosted cookies with turbinado sugar.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Angie Barrett @BigBearsWife.