Gingersnap and Orange Cheesecake
- 1 3/4 cups crushed gingersnap cookies*
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, soft at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 16 ounces (1 pound) sour cream
- 4 tablespoons orange zest (no white bitter pith)
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make crust: Crush gingersnaps with a rolling pin to obtain 1 3/4 cups. Add melted butter and combine well. Press onto bottom of a 9-inch diameter springform pan and place in the oven for 12 minutes or until golden. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F
- Place springform pan on 3 layers of aluminum foil and wrap outside of pan tightly with foil. Ensure that no water could penetrate thru foil. Place in a roasting pan and set aside.
- Blend cream cheese and sugar on lowest speed. Alternatively mix by using a handheld spatula until no lumps remain. Scrape bowl well. Add one egg at a time, waiting for previously added egg to be fully incorporated. Scrape bowl and beater between additions.
- Add sour cream, orange zest, and freshly grated ginger and pour batter into springform pan.
- Pour water into roasting pan about one inch high and place in oven.
- Bake until center of cheesecake no longer trembles when tapping sides of pan, about 2 hours.
- Allow to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes and place in refrigerator overnight.
- Run a sharp knife around edge and bottom of cheesecake and cut it into desired size.