Gingersnap Pumpkin Cheesecake with Caramel Topping
- Swedish Gingersnaps
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, soft at room temperature
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar, firmly packed
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can (15 oz) solid pack pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling mix)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Crème Chantilly
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup half-half
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Crush enough baked gingersnaps to obtain a generous cup. Mix in melted butter and press onto bottom of a 9-inch diameter springform pan. Place in the oven for 10 minutes and remove. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- When cool enough to handle, place pan on 3 layers of aluminum foil and wrap outside of pan with the foil. Ensure that no water can penetrate thru foil. Place in a roasting pan and set aside.
- To make cheesecake, blend soft cream cheese and both sugars on low speed until well blended and no lumps remain. Alternatively mix using a handheld spatula. Scrape bowl well.
- Add one egg at a time waiting for previously added amount to be fully incorporated; scrape bowl and beater in between additions.
- Add pumpkin, spices, and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Pour about one fourth of filling in springform pan. Place about 6-7 gingersnaps onto the filling. Cover with another one fourth of filling and place another 6-7 gingersnaps on top. Repeat with another one fourth of filling and gingersnaps. Cover with remaining batter. Do not place gingersnaps on surface.
- Place cheesecake in roasting pan. Pour water into roasting pan about 1-inch high and place in oven.
- Bake until center of cheesecake no longer trembles, about 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours.
- Allow to cool at room temperature for 30-60 minutes. Place in refrigerator for several hours or overnight. Once properly cooled remove pan from cheesecake. Prepare Crème Chantilly. Decorate surface and using a touch of Crème Chantilly, stick gingersnaps on side of cheesecake.
- Prepare caramel. In a saucepan bring all ingredients excluding vanilla to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes ensuring that mixture will not boil over. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Cool caramel before spreading it onto cheesecake.