Glazed Blueberry Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour *
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, very cold or slightly frozen, grated
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup cold heavy cream plus extra for brushing the tops
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen (unthawed)
- For sprinkling Gold ’N Natural Turbinado Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400°F degrees. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
- In bowl of an electric mixed fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Grate cold butter. Add butter and using a pastry cutter, or two butter knives, combine butter with flour mixture until mixture is crumbly.
- In a separate bowl, combine egg, heavy cream, and vanilla extract. Add mixture into flour mixture, tossing to combine. The mixture will be lumpy.
- Gently fold in blueberries, careful not to overwork dough or smash blueberries.
- Turn out dough onto a well-floured surface and gently work dough into a ball using hands that are floured. Work dough into a circular disc with a rolling pin, about 8 inches round and about 3/4 inches thick. Using a sharp knife, cut dough into quarters, then cut again creating 8 triangles.
- Place scone triangles onto baking sheet, leaving an inch or two between each one to allow for spreading. Brush tops of scones with a bit of heavy cream and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- To make glaze, combine all ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together. Drizzle the glaze onto scones just before serving.
- Serve immediately, or skip glaze and freeze for up to 3 months.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Aimee Broussard @AimeeBroussard.com.