Gluten Free Apple Breakfast Cake
- 1/3 cup grapeseed, canola, light or mild olive oil or other healthy oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 large apple
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a 9 x 13-inch baking pan arrange parchment paper on bottom and sides. The parchment will stick better to sides using a little oil. Set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients beat oil, eggs, brown sugar and salt until well combined.
- Add apple sauce and vanilla extract and set aside.
- Place old fashioned oats in a food processor and blend until it reaches the consistency of partly flour and cornmeal.
- To grind oats add baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger and mix briefly until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Peel and slice apples in thin slices. Arrange on surface and sprinkle with a thin layer of brown sugar.
- Place in oven and bake until center bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 20 minutes.