Gluten Free Tart Shell
- 1 stick unsalted butter or dairy-free plant butter (labeled for baking)
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 7/8 cups + 2 tablespoons Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour by King Arthur Baking Company*
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Mix butter and powdered sugar until well blended. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add salt and vanilla.
- Add gluten-free flour in one step and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Press dough evenly flat onto a sheet of plastic food film. Place dough in refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes or until well chilled. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Meanwhile chill work surface area that you will be rolling dough on by placing 1-2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on area.
- Set aside an 8 or 9-inch tart pan.
- Sprinkle chilled area lightly with gluten-free flour and roll dough into a circle large enough to cover entire tart pan. Place dough into place and remove excess. Press dough into any cracks or tears.
- Prick bottom using a fork and place in oven. (Filling with pie weights is not necessary.) Check tart once tart shell has been in oven for about 5 minutes. Chances are that bottom crust is puffing up. If so, prick with tip of a paring knife. In case a section of tart sides came down from side, press it back up.
- Bake until light golden brown, about 15-18 minutes. Optional, but at this point, crust can be thinly brushed with a well-beaten egg and returned to oven for about 2 minutes until egg wash has fully dried. This procedure will keep crust longer crisp when filled with soft creams or custards.
This recipe for this tart crust has been tested with successful results using Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour by King Arthur Baking Company.