Gobbled Up Turkey Tamale Pie
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup shredded 4-cheese Mexican blend
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (10 ounces) original Rotel tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 small white onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon dry cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 can (2.5 ounces) sliced olives, drained
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 pounds ground turkey meat (can also use chicken)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place 4 1/2 cups of water in a saucepan with 1 tablespoon salt. Cook until water begins to boil (about 5 minutes). Remove from the heat and stir in 2 cups cornmeal, butter, and shredded 4-Cheese Mexican Blend. Mix well until thick, set aside to cool.
- Spray a 9 x 12 casserole dish with cooking spray. Line casserole dish with half the cornmeal mixture (saving enough for the top layer).
- In a large skillet on the stovetop add olive oil, garlic, diced green bell pepper, and diced onions. Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes until onions are golden in color. Remove sautéed veggies from pan (leaving as much oil as possible) then add ground turkey. Cook ground turkey on medium-high heat, breaking up ground turkey, for 5 minutes until all meat is cooked through.
- Add cooked veggies back to skillet with cooked ground turkey. Then add rotel tomatoes, chili powder, sugar and 1 tablespoon dry cornmeal for thickening. Mix well and cook on medium high heat for 5 minutes.
- Place drained olives on bottom of cornmeal-lined casserole dish. Followed by turkey mixture and cover top with the remaining cornmeal mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350°F. Let cool before serving.
You may top the Turkey Tamale Pie with Sour Cream, Salsa, and/or freshly chopped cilantro. If you like heat, add a few splashes of hot sauce!